Saturday, March 12, 2011

Japan

Last week, we began a unit on Japan. We were nearing the end of our study of Ancient Egypt and the kids wanted to learn more about the culture they are somewhat obsessed with.

Yes, obsessed. Manga drawing. Japanese graphic novels being borrowed from the library by the dozens. Sushi anytime they can get it. And they occasionally get one of a series of Japanese animated shows, called Inu Yasha.

And then yesterday morning, while the kids were still in bed, I turned on the morning news to catch the weather and the latest Wisconsin happenings. And saw the images from Japan broadcast over the airwaves. As the time passed and our local morning show transitioned to the Today show, the images became more devastating. Aidan woke up and cuddled with me. He asked me what the pictures and videos were.

I explained what had happened and we continued to watch the news for quite awhile. Erica woke up and we explained it to her. Aidan needed reassurance that we were safe from a Tsunami (being a bit of a worrier, he wanted to be sure that a Tsunami couldn't come out of Lake Michigan). I assured him I did not think that was possible, and even if it was, we are quite a ways from the coast of Lake Michigan. Erica didn't ask a lot of questions. Eventually we turned the TV off and turned to our studies.

I didn't bring up the earthquake or the tsunami during our studies, except to show the kids on the globe where they had struck and how far the tsunami was expected to travel--mind boggling even to me. As the next few days unfold and the extent of damage is revealed to the world, I will share that with my kids.

And we will find a way to help our Japanese friends.

No comments: