Friday, March 23, 2012

Sour Dough Loveliness

Finally after years of thinking "wouldn't it be nice to make homemade sourdough," I no longer have to wish or dream. It's a reality.

I always thought sourdough was very complicated and while there are a lot of details and some planning ahead, it isn't complicated and so worth the effort.

My dear friend, Krista, shared her recipe for baking the bread at a recent class I attended, along with enough starter to get me, well, started!

I didn't ask her whether I could share the recipe with you, so I won't do that here, but there are recipes for sourdough all over the internet. My recommendation would be to ask someone you know who bakes sourdough bread to share some of their starter and walk you through the finer points.

Oh, my. So yummy!


the starter with some additional water and bread flour added

the dough, ready to rise


forgot to take a picture of this dough all puffed up and fairly falling out of the bowl!

risen loaves

baked loaves

4 comments:

Jim Helwig said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim Helwig said...

I thought these were your best looking pan loaves yet. They tasted great and had a nice chewy crust, too!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I love sour dough bread. That looks delicious. B

Unknown said...

Loved your step-by-step on the sour dough! I'm interested in doing some myself. Used to, and other obligations pulled me away. It's time to get back to it!