Monday, June 6, 2011

Weather Radio

I have a love/hate relationship with our weather radio.

Mostly love, though.

You see, I have a bit of an obsession with the weather. My mom was always obsessed with the weather. I think it's one of those things she passed down to me. I can remember once when I was very young, my mom and my siblings and I (or at least one of them) sitting in front of a big window in one of our homes and watching a thunderstorm roll in. I wasn't afraid~I was intrigued, admiring the beauty in the colors of the sky and the lightning.

Well, I'm sure I couldn't have stated it in those exact terms, but if I'd had the language I would have.

Anyhoo, I have a thing for the weather. I check the weather at least once (or ten) times a day.

A couple of years ago, I even dressed as weather girl for Halloween. That was fun. As we walked through the neighborhoods with our kids I blurted out things like "it's going to be sunny and windy!" and then threw my head back, laughing like some mad-scientist/weather forecaster.  (mwaa, haa, haa!)

I should do that one again.

So, you see, I have a deep appreciation for our weather radio. It lets me know when I should cook up a batch a popcorn, pour an ice cold root beer and sit down in front of the windows for the show.

Or--when it's time to head down to Jim's parents house and hunker down in their cozy basement until all threats of tornadic activity have passed.

Tornadic.

You see, I really don't like that word. It wasn't a word when I was growing up. I am a word person and this word sounds made-up to me. Primarily because nobody said this word during my "learning" years.

Yes, I know I am still learning and yes, I also know that all words are made up...

Bully for you!!

I will stop complaining about "tornadic" now.

However, sometimes (like today) our weather radio announces thunderstorm warnings at 2 am and then again at 5:30 am (and about five more times afterward). That would be okay--but mostly I like to sleep during those hours.

But then I would have missed the show.

The sun rising over the chicken coop in the east:

The dark clouds moving in from the west:
The faintest hint of a rainbow.

The thunder. The lightning. The sound of rain on the roof.

The fresh scent of rain on grass.

Pass the popcorn.

1 comment:

Michaele said...

Thanks for the view of WI skies. Looks really nice there. I have never been much for watching the weather, unless the weekend is coming. My bad.