Friday, November 11, 2011

Flags and Snow

Well, our day got off to an interesting start. Shortly after my last post I got my pork chops all seared and tucked away in the crockpot, washed up the dishes and was just getting ready to jump in the shower when our electricity went out. 

I waited.

And waited. 

Then I contacted the electric company, whose automated voice service informed me "we are aware of an outage in your area". 

The hard working folks were fixing up the damage left-over from our heavy wet snow on Wednesday and I guess a few of us had to be "offline" for a bit. 

No worries.

I took the pork chops and all their good flavorings out of the crockpot. Then I put them into a casserole dish and threw 'em in the bake oven of our masonry heater.
( Ignore the chipping clay plaster...)

 I had just gotten the fire going a little while before, but the temperature was already up to 200. 

I love that masonry heater. 
My sister, kids and I were sitting down to eat around 1:00 when suddenly the electricity popped back on. 

Timing.

It's amazing how much we have come to depend upon electricity. 

Can't even go to the bathroom without it. 
Well, you can, but after a few without flushes it gets a bit ripe. 

Ah, well. 

All's well that ends well.

As promised to Michaele, here are the close-ups of the peace flags waving in our garden:





And a few snowy shots of the blanketed green...


Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Michaele said...

Love the peace flags! This has got to be the first "peace flags in snow" shot I have seen. : )

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I truly love the peace flags.They are fabulous. I also love your oven. I cook everything on a wood stove when the power goes out and since winter is coming I am sure I better start practicing again. Your so right about no electric no flush :)B