Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Rebels

Shortly after waking this morning, I looked out the window and noticed a hen foraging for bugs on the far side of the garden.

"That's odd.... I haven't let the birds out yet..."

Then into my visual field walks another hen.

"Hmmmmm, maybe we forgot to lock them in last night?"

Nope. Check out the other windows~no chickens anywhere else in the yard.

So I walk up to the coop to let out the rest of the gang.

About 8 feet from the coop I noticed this:

Over the weekend, HE had put skirting around the base of the coop and filled in with rocks. The chickens really liked to use that area as a dust bath, but then they would create holes large enough to crawl underneath the coop. We began to suspect that they were laying eggs under there~it would explain our drastic reduction in apparent egg production. To solve that problem, HE shored it up.

HE did look underneath before closing it up.

But not well enough.

He buried a couple of those girls underneath the coop

Maybe "buried" is a bit strong.

Trapped sounds good.

Never fear, though: WONDER CHICKEN is here!!

They pecked and clawed and pushed until they detached the skirting, pushed through the crack, tossed that measly piece of wood aside and fed their tired bodies.

Puny humans!




Just as I was getting ready to push the "publish" button, my son peered over my shoulder to see what I was doing (really he just wants to use the laptop).

He proceeded to inform me that his dad had actually pulled open the skirting last night while I was out at a cooking class.

Bummer.

I kinda liked the idea that we have bionic chickens.

4 comments:

Jim Helwig said...

For the record, I believe these chickens dug themselves IN during the day yesterday. I simply made the mistake of not checking when I covered up their holes a second time. I don't want to be accused of cruel and unusual punishment! :-)

Michaele said...

ROTFL You always crack me up Deb. I seriously was with you all the way here.

Reasonable Season (Me) said...

LOL! I like the idea of bionic chickens. I'm going to pretend the first part of your story was the real reason they busted out. ;)

Yu Allen said...

Naturalpuerh company advantages:

1.Non-pollution planting base,sufficient product supply.

2.Complete quality control system.

3.Advanced processing equipments,low temperature storage equipments and large regrigerated warehouse.

4.Rich experience in exporting.

5.Direct supply from planting base with competitive price.

Prompt responding and delivery.

website: http://www.naturalpuerh.com
email/skype: naturalpuerh@hotmail.com
whatsapp: +8615587209382