Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Flowering Bulbs

Last November, my mom died. Shortly after, I found myself planting flowering bulbs around our yard. I was working alone and was feeling very low. It was a cloudy, overcast day, but surprisingly mild for November--indeed, the ground wasn't frozen.

While planting the bulbs I thought a lot about my mom and I suddenly realized that at least some of the flowers would likely be blooming on her birthday, April 21st. My heart lightened a bit and I continued planting the bulbs in her memory. I had always said that one of the gifts mom had given me was a love of growing things. She took great pleasure in gardening. She was good at it. I remember thinking at the time that mom would appreciate the beauty. I planted crocus, tulips, daffodils and hyacinth in various places.

I'm not an expert at gardening. Not even close. I love to grow things and kind of look at it as a bit of a crapshoot. At least one thing will come up, right? When I began planting the bulbs, my main objective wasn't to make gorgeous flower beds. I had an ulterior motive--I wanted to see color coming up out of the ground in the spring. I wasn't being neat in my planting or creating perfectly even beds with well-defined edges. I simply (and crudely) removed the sod and plopped the bulbs into the ground. Covered them up and watered them. With mom on my mind, I had a new motive--to plant bulbs every fall in her memory. And to enjoy their beauty each April, especially on her birthday. This seems a natural way to remember and honor my mom's life.

Happy Birthday, Mom.
I love you.
Be at Peace.